About this Fellow
History Social & Cultural Anthropology, Other Branches
- Emeritus Professor of Anthropological Science, University of Cambridge; Fellow, King's College, Cambridge
- Reader in Historical Anthropology, University of Cambridge, 1981 - 1991
- Professor of Anthropological Science, University of Cambridge, 1991 - 2009
- Fellow, King's College University of Cambridge, 1981
- Emeritus Professor, University of Cambridge, 2009
- Professor of Anthropological Science, University of Cambridge, University of Cambridge, 1991
Social anthropology: thematic interests in comparative analysis of political life, power relations, social movements, the state, political economy, migration, conflict and security; regional specialisation in Latin American societies and history
The representation and analysis of phenomena distributed in space and time, especially the space of the Earth's surface; the application of geographic information systems to research in the social sciences and humanities.
The ethnology of Amazonian Indians, especially of their use and perception of the environment; the comparative anthropology of the relations between nature and society
Environmental governance: relations between land use planning, environment & sustainability; policy processes in modern democracies, especially the role of knowledge, ideas & advice in policy formation & change.