About this Fellow
Social & Cultural Anthropology, Other Branches
- Visiting Professor, Boston University
- Lecturer in Anthropology, University College London, 1970 - 1976
- Professor of African Anthropology, University of Leiden, The Netherlands, 1976 - 1985
- Professor of Anthropology, Brunel University, 1985 - 2008
- Visiting Professor, Boston University, 2017
British Academy Appointments
- Vice-President, 2006 - 2007
- Member of Council, 2004 - 2006
Human evolution: the evolutionary ecology of extinct hominins; the evolution of human behaviour and culture; prehistory and archaeology of early human populations; evolutionary theory in archaeology and anthropology.
The anthropology of India, including popular Hinduism and Hindu nationalism, the caste system, the modern state, globalisation and the middle class; field research mainly in Tamil Nadu.
Geographies of labour market change in the UK; gender divisions of labour; interactive work in the service sector; economic migration since 1945; memory and oral histories, especially of women migrants
Anthropology of Social Media and Digital Anthropology. Anthropological approaches to material culture including clothing and homes; the role of objects in relationships; the process of consumption and the study of commerce and value