On 20 February 2014 the British Academy and ESRC co-hosted a unique scoping workshop designed to explore issues around sustainable prosperity. This interactive event brought a diverse range of people and perspectives together to discuss novel ideas and fresh approaches to the issue of building an economy that fosters sustainable prosperity.
The event was held at the British Academy in London and involved 83 people from a range of backgrounds, including academics as well as practitioners from business, government, NGOs and other organisations. The day was structured to allow them to focus upon Sustainable Prosperity as a general concept, before discussing the demands it places on our present thinking, and the research questions that it might raise for a wide range of disciplines.
The event was shaped by an expert working group brought together by the British Academy and the ESRC:
- Professor Jan Bebbington, University of St Andrews
- Professor Ian Gough, London School of Economics and Political Science
- Professor Tim Jackson, University of Surrey
- Dr Ralf Martin, Imperial College London
- Professor Tim O’Riordan OBE, FBA, University of East Anglia